Friday, January 2, 2009

For Better or Worse







The holidays in Belize have been different, expectedly, from any others I have had in my life. Strangely, they are pleasantly different and seem somehow more special and enjoyable in a way, perhaps because they involve no stress, latent from jobs, money, or trips. They are what we make of them, simple, and even a single phone call to family or a mere visit from a new friend can seem powerfully significant and can make me want to cry.
The little Nicaraguan family, our former neighbors in a one-room shed, stopped by our new place after church on Christmas, and the kids gave me hugs and proudly showed me their new necklaces and generally looked precious in their best attire. They were sipping juice boxes and looked pleased with themselves, and it made me smile for a long time that the family cared enough to come and see me.

As with most experiences in Peace Corps, I believe the lesson has been to learn simplicity and to focus on relationships. It also constantly causes us to ask questions like, are we becoming "better" people, or "worse," for this experience? It does seem that whatever traits we already possessed are often accentuated. But, what is at the heart of volunteerism and humanitarian work and development? We continue to notice the innate selfishness of human beings, both within ourselves and our new community.
This year, as part of trying to be a stronger, more assertive, more decisive me (though balanced and kind, like my mother-in-law or my host mom), I decided to make my birthday as positive as possible, given the circumstances. I requested going to Placencia to snorkel, my first time ever, and a red velvet cake, like Scott and I saw on a cooking show when we were staying with another Volunteer couple. Funny, I never liked red velvet cake before.
Above are a few photos of snorkeling, despite the interspersed storms. You can see where the clouds began to part for us to have a sunny spot in which to snorkel. I even saw barracudas and a sting ray up-close! Also, check out Scott's new ride that he put together with a good deal on a frame from New York that actually fits him. I think the striped seat and matching grips he found in Belize City are rad, and so does every other villager who happens to pass. In fact, I am endangered when riding behind Scott because if the staring person is on a bike when he passes Scott, he fails to look forward again until he has very nearly crashed into me!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Scott... Great posts! next time you come to Placencia, look us up. BTW, Jeff Frank is a good friend, and recent PCV in Blue Creek near Punta Gorda. Great writing in his PC blog...
http://www.jeffinbelize.blogspot.com/
Karen and I live here now (retired health care professionals) and can offer some respite and hospitality!.
http://traversbelize.blogspot.com/
http://traversbelize.com/
Best, Drew Travers

Laura said...

April! I missed giving your birthday wishes and greetings! I'm glad to hear that the day was a good one--if surely much different from others that you have celebrated. Thanks for your thoughts here. Being in Latin America certainly does teach us to slow down. And yes, our traits to seem to be more accentuated--for better or worse sometimes. Hopefully for better. I miss you and will talk to you later to share about my first experiences in Argentina.

Sandy Cove said...

Sounds like you guys are having fun. We sure do miss you. Sorry I haven't been better at staying in touch...life has been crazy. Lacey just moved up. When you guys get done you should move here to ;) then we would have too many friends to know what to do with. It would be great. Anyway, Hope you guys have lots of fun this year.

Erica M Lyon said...

It's beautiful to hear your transparencey as you write. You are taking it all in and processing it as you go along. I do hope you are keeping a journal while you are there. I keep one daily for the first year and wained after that. To see the moments for what they are through fresh eyes helps and my hope for you is that you can do that while you are there the whole time. You may not be better or worse when you finish, but you will have all your memories and all the lessons you learned, those are the gifts you give there and the one's you recieve(some whether you want those gifts or not), however each one shapes you, and that will mold you more into who you are. Continue to soak it in and process. I can't wait to see you two when you get back. Sorry, if we are unable to visit, trying to save up for grad. school right now eck!