Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My friend, my grandmother, me as mentored and mentor

She was sitting primly
On the wooden love seat
So pretty & young & fresh & sweet
Seawater light eyes
Freckles high on her cheeks
Wavy hair held back at her neck
The sun from the day
Beaming out of her skin & her teeth
Aqua blue flowers
Against a silky white dress
Glittery flip flops
The color of an American pool
Her sobrina malcriada
Me as a child
Unkempt, barefoot little girl
Wild hair of straw
White face, wide eyes, blue jean skirt
After the phone call
Staring at my tears & trying not to
Mi abuela se murio
She took her leave
A white ghost, an angel
But not before
A quick squeeze y un beso
In my ear, tranquila
May God give you peace.

~4 April 2009

2 comments:

Laura said...

Beautiful descriptive phrases, April, and I enjoy the ocassional Spanish mixed in at appropriate moments. I find too that my English is peppered with Spanish now, here and there. You are the mentor and mentee here, I assume. And did you recieve the news about your grandmother recently?

April said...

Yes, I did. :( But writing has been a comfort, and also feeling included by family members calling me throughout the process. It has been a healthy and almost sweet time of grieving because of all she meant to me and how peacefully she left.