Monday, May 5, 2008

The New Life

So after seven tedious years I am now an official College graduate, I think. I had two classes this semester that were both hard and uninteresting to me, Transportation and Reinforced Concrete. I might be able to use the Reinforced Concrete information in the future, but I really hope that transportation never becomes part of my job title. Unlike 99% of my classmates I am more interested in drinking water, waste water, and solid waste, not because I like horrible smells (designed properly waste shouldn't have too much smell), but because it essential for both the environment and people that we take proper care of our wastes. This is one reason why I am so interested in Peace Corps because I was told I would get a job working in water/sanitation which is actually rare in Peace Corps. According to my recruiter the Caribbean is the only place he knows of that has jobs in water/sanitation, which is odd since water is the #1 most important resource for people.

Because we are still in a holding pattern with PC I have been interviewing with several engineering firms. Right now I'm pretending that I have several jobs out there that could be potentials, and the best offer would be PC, odd to some since I could be turning down a job in Tucson paying around $45/yr with the exact career path I am most interested in, but I think the PC experience will be more valuable for me, the patience building will definitely be invaluable. I would really like to end up with a firm that does side projects for Engineer's without Border's, which I think every engineering firm should be involved with, but few actually are.

April really wants to live in Tucson because there is so much opportunity in nearby border towns that need so much help, and because it is warm year-round, also there is a post PC graduate program there that is perfect for her. I would like to live there because it would make April happy and the climbing there is rumored to be quite good as well as the mtn. biking. The super hot days in the summer will be bad, but I'll just have to take up swimming.

4 comments:

Jesse E. Hunter said...

Did you call the placement office?
Even now that we've been "invited," we're still jumping through PC hoops. I don't think that'll quit under closing ceremonies in 2010 though...Good luck with everything. It's very smart to give yourself options.

We're looking at Denver, post PC. Great grad program for me, with Engineering options for Josh.

I hope you hear soon!

Scott said...

We have to resubmit some medical crap before we can even be considered for placement, but that stuff should be in today.

Denver would be okay, but we prefer climbing to skiing. There are grad school options in Tucson, but if I can get an Environmental Eng. job I won't need more school.

Unknown said...

Todd wants to know when you became such a %$&^$#@ hippie. I just think you're awesome. It's weird to think after all these years we're actually interested in the same work - I didn't know. CONGRATULATIONS. Give my love to April. Todd also congratulates you on your graduation.

Pete said...

Way to go dude! Don't forget to call us when you are in Portland.