Friday, February 15, 2008

Spoiled brat

I just watched most of the documentary 'Life and Debt'. It has to do with Jamaica and a loan they received through the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank. The IMF put several stipulations on what Jamaica could and could not do with the money, and forced them to allow imports which of course are from the even poorer countries of S. America (through Huge Corporation, e.g. Dole). Almost all of the agriculture and livestock jobs have been lost do to this. For example dairy farmers can't produce milk cheap enough to compete with the powdered milk from other countries and are forced to sell their cattle. McDonald's and other corporations refuse to use locally grown products for their menus, and even the biggest source of income, tourism, doesn't use local food for their customers, but instead have food delivered from Miami and other large ports in North America.

Life and Debt shows what life is like for the majority of Jamaican's; poor and disgruntled. I'm not really seeing how I can fit in there, especcially if I spend all my time and money on putting up silly sport routes. I currently don't see how I can take 27 months away from climbing, but I don't want to be just another selfish American taking advantage of Jamaicans.

1 comment:

Leanna said...

Man Scott, you're going to have a breakdown before you get there. Poor boy. You'll do good, don't worry so much.